The Wave Pictures on the Moon

I first heard this band earlier this year on one of my sadly infrequent listens to the Marc Riley Show on BBC 6 Music and they are obviously a favourite of Mr Riley. He played The Woods which has just been released on the new album City Forgiveness which you can stream via Spotify below. In the time in between I checked out their previous album Long Black Cars which turned out to be brilliant. The new album is a 20 track opus and is a far more sedate affair than Long Black Cars but is very worth getting into. The Woods is a highlight and you can check out them playing it live here:


Great lyrics and great guitar action whilst Missuula is my love song of the year with the top lyric "You make me feel dancing naked across the motel room, my beer belly dancing in the afternoon". According to Wikipedia the Guardian have described them as "charming, witty pop songs shot through with Jonathan Richman's gawky glee and Suede's doomed provincial romanticism... They owe a certain debt to The Smiths, and Tattersall has Morrissey's knack of marrying the ridiculous and the sublime" Not sure about Suede but the rest is spot on and they also remind me quite a bit of early James records.


Comments

Trending on The Moon